Going keto and not sure what you’re supposed to eat? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered! Here’s a definitive guide on all the delicious, keto-approved treats you can feast on, so you can hit your macros without breaking the rules!
1. What is Keto and How Does It Work?
- Keto, short for “ketogenic diet”, is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet.
- It works by drastically reducing the amount of carbohydrates in a person’s diet.
Ketosis: When carbohydrates are eliminated from the diet, the body starts to produce ketones, as a way to get energy from burning fat. This process is called ketosis. When in ketosis, you are said to be in a “fat burning state,” which encourages the body to use fat as an energy source instead of glucose.
Benefits of Keto: The keto diet has many potential benefits that range from weight loss, improved energy levels, and better control of diabetes. It can also help improve your mental clarity and cognitive functioning, reducing inflammation and reducing the risk of lifestyle-related diseases. In addition, the diet has been linked to improved fertility, improved heart health, and a reduction in Alzheimer’s-related memory decline.
2. Keto Staples to Keep in Your Kitchen
The key to a successful keto diet is to be prepared. With the right ingredients in your kitchen, you can create healthy meals that will not only keep you in ketosis, but also satisfy your cravings. Here are some keto staples that will help you maintain a low carb diet:
- Healthy fats – avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, ghee
- Proteins – nuts, nut butter, eggs, seeds, tofu, tempeh, fish, poultry
- Dairy – cream, cheese, cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream
- Low-carb veggies – zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach, arugula, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers
- Etc. – sugar-free sweeteners, unsweetened coconut milk, herbal teas
Having these ingredients in your kitchen will ensure you have an easy access to low-carb, nutritious meals. Roast some veggies in butter, combine them with eggs and feta cheese for a tasty lunch, whip up some creamy guacamole for an afternoon snack or make a sugar-free smoothie for a breakfast that will get your day started off right.
3. Time-Saving Keto Meal Prep Tips
One of the best ways to save time in the kitchen is to plan ahead. When you’re meal prepping for the keto diet, map out your meals at least a few days in advance. That way, you save time and energy trying to plan out your meals. And when you make a grocery list ahead of time, you’ll be more likely to stick to it and have less food waste.
Batch cooking and maximizing leftovers
If you want to save even more time, batch cooking is a great idea. Cook a double or triple batch of your meal and freeze or store your extra servings. You’ll save time in the long run. And if you have extra ingredients, don’t throw them out! Try to make the most out of leftovers by finding creative ways to reuse them like in soups and salads.
4. Delicious Keto-Friendly Recipes
- Smoked Salmon and Coconut chia porridge
- Grilled Salmon and Asparagus with Wasabi Mayo
- Seared Salmon with roast garlic-chilli sauce
Not a fan of fish? Don’t worry, we’ve got other up our sleeves. Our next recipes are sure to tantalize your taste buds and get your Keto journey off to a delicious start!
- Beef and Chorizo Keto-Friendly Casserole
- Sirloin Steak with Garlic and Herb Butter
- Caprese Stuffed Beef Burgers with Avocado Salsa
Whether you’re a beef connoisseur or just looking to give your meals a nutrient-packed boost, these dishes will have you covered! Rich in healthy fats and flavourful ingredients, they make for an excellent addition to your Keto meals.
5. Get Started on Your Keto Journey Today!
Ready to get started with the Keto Diet? Here are some quick tips and tricks to get you off on the right foot:
- Start by exploring what is and isn’t allowed in the Keto Diet. This will help you get a better understanding of what the diet entails and how to adjust your eating habits accordingly.
- Set goals and track your progress. Determine what steps you can take to get closer to your health and fitness goals and keep track of your successes.
- Find the right keto recipes for you. Not everyone enjoys the same foods, so take the time to find palate-pleasing meals that follow the Keto Diet.
- Be Flexible: Don’t be afraid to experiment with new techniques, ingredients, or meal pairing. With the right understanding and practice, flexible eating is an achievable goal with the Keto Diet.
- Stay Consistent: Sticking to the Keto Diet can be challenging, but don’t be discouraged if you don’t immediately see results. With consistency comes progress.
Investing the time into understanding the Keto Diet and monitoring your eating habits is the first step towards achieving success. Making a few simple changes in your diet can have a big impact, so why not get started on your Keto journey today?
Q and A
Q: What is the keto diet?
A: The ketogenic, or “keto”, diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that is aimed at getting the body into a state of ketosis. In this state, the body is burning fat instead of carbohydrates for energy.
Q: What foods should I include in my keto diet?
A: Healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, grass-fed butter, and avocado are essential to the keto diet. Lean proteins such as fish, poultry, and eggs, as well as low-carb vegetables like spinach, kale, and broccoli, round out your keto diet. Additionally, some nuts, seeds, and low-carb fruits like blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries can be included in smaller amounts.
Q: What are the benefits of the keto diet?
A: There are many potential benefits to the keto diet, such as weight loss, improved mental clarity, increased energy levels, and improved blood sugar control. It’s also thought to be beneficial for people with certain medical conditions, such as epilepsy, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s.
Q: What should I avoid on the keto diet?
A: You should avoid all processed and sugary foods such as candy, sweets, white breads and pastas, as well as starchy vegetables like potatoes. You should also avoid most fruits as they are often high-carb.
Want to make the keto diet work for you? Now you’ve got the whole food list in your grasp, you can easily start adding these superfoods to your meals. Remember to keep it low-carb, high-fat and then get ready to experience the wonders of keto for yourself. Bon appetit!